Research and readings
Reading research and articles about outdoor learning and relevant pedagogical issues is important for keeping us informed and helping us to advocate for outdoor learning. We are collecting some useful reading matter here. If you would like to suggest anything, please contact us.
- Link to a US document on Nature Play and Learning Places. (Note: This is PDF link to a large document.)
- 'Too much screen time and too little outside play is holding back kids' - This article by Rachael Sharman in The Conversation brings together evidence from a number of studies in support of the value of active outdoor risky play.
- This piece on Why Active Play Equals Better Thinking Skills from the NPR blog reports on research about why children need to be physically active while learning.
- The need to offer children opportunities to take risks is in the media worldwide - for example in the Calgary Herald.
- Dr Sue Elliot has contributed a special piece on education for sustainability for our website - here.